28 August 2007

Lecturing and such

While the team has been seeing cool clinical stuff, I have been spending my time lecturing, networking, and writing concept sheets for grants. Clearly a different experience, but just as educational. It has been an exhausting first 10 days for me, but I am content to know that I have accomplished a great deal in that time. I have given 5 lectures so far, with 3-4 more to go. Being a faculty member, lecturing is certainly not a new concept to me, but maintaining relevancy of my message to persons whose clinical experiences are so far removed from what I see has been a neat challenge.

Now speaking of lectures, today I had to give a talk on HIV drug resistance. Given the state of my exhaustion and some major abdominal pain I have been having, the team decided, on their own, that they would prepare my lecture for me. Over two nights, these guys researched antiretroviral resistance in textbooks and on the Net and put together a pretty impressive talk. I delivered it today with minimal modification and it has easily been the best received of all my lectures so far. So a pat on the back for my peeps here; they are truly the best, and I was very touched at their generosity. More that that, thought, it was fascinating to see the enthusiasm, teamwork, and brain power on display over the past two nights. My fellow travelers have blogged a bit already and have talked quite a bit about the opportunity to just learn, without interruption or any other pressure. Watching them work with such focus, such motivation, and actually seem to have fun doing it was completely unexpected, given that when assigned something like this most of us tend to groan. Now this response from them could clearly be just a reflection of the magnitude of my pathetic appearance, combined with some obviously humanitarian tendencies of this group. Part of me does like to think, though, that they actually learned a lot from going through this self-assigned exercise. I feel like I have witnessed learning in its purest form, driven entirely by the learner. Maybe there is a model there for medical education...

For those concerned (Amma), I have pretty much recovered from my aforementined GI ailment and am back to eating stuff I have no business eating. Today was a banner day, with notable items including avakaya , hot pepper bajjis, and guava. No sequelae to report. Feeling great. Although...I do have two lectures early next week...hmmm...I wouldn't be surprised if I had some more abdominal pain starting Sunday afternoon or so...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Gopal. Glad to know that you are feeling better. Advice from Dr. amma. No more bajjis, guavas.
The blogs are great!!! Your team is super!!

Unknown said...

Travel Medicine poem of the day

nothing raw unless you peel it yourself
nothing uncooked
no ice cubes
cipro ready

Yadavalli...........non-adherance

Aadia Rana said...

leave it to the almost native indian to get gi upset first. i think its a side effect of the malaria prophylaxis. kba, can you put that poem into iambic pentameter so we can remember it? or at least a haiku? really enjoying the blogs, esp the canadian's and the top 5 list. keep those coming. just to be sure, there are in fact 2 tea times a day right? 10 am and 4 pm?? i may not go back to india if that's changed.

Unknown said...

you never heard of e.e. cummings?
[or ogden nash]
kba

salad, ice cubes- food left in the sun
crampy pain, enteritis -not much fun

yadavalli, taking chances
I don't want to see his pances

Agam Rao said...

Hey Gopala-- Don't feel bad. Right after match day in med school, I travelled all over India for a month with one of my best friends (a non-Indian). I was the one that ended up getting bloody diarrhea from "homemade" marshmallows in Kodaikanal and nearly passing out from the heat in Rajasthan while on that palace on wheels tour. Still, I can't resist the mirapkaya (sp?) bajjis on the roadside bhandis in Hyderabad! Thinking back now, though, the bajjis are wrapped in old newspapers before they are handed to you and inevitably, the print on the newspapers smears from the grease... Who knows what I've eaten...

Aadia Rana said...

hmmm... ee cummings...sounds familiar. whoever he is, he's got a long way to go to surpass the resident beat poet of the travel medicine clinic.