18 August 2007

Somewhere over the Atlantic . . .(late entry from flight)


(This is from about 20 hours ago, but I couldn't post while I was in the air)
Currently between Detroit and Amsterdam on leg 2 of our outbound journey. As you all know, our final destination is the city of Hyderabad, capital of Andrha Pradesh, which along with Secunderabad is referred to as the twin cities of India. From what I hear, its an area steeped in history nd is now a booming city, partly due to its tech industry (there's actually a part of the city referred to as High Tech City). So I just woke up from a nap. Fairly smooth flight to this point, with just a couple of minutes of turbulence. I think at this point we have about 10 hours of travel left, which is okay because I've only covered 45 of my 913 songs in my iPod.
So how did I end up at this point, travelling to the Indian subcontinent? Well, your protagaonist's journey began, I guess, about 5 months ago when Jess Jones said that Gopal was setting up a trip. Knowing that it would have an infectious disease slant, I jumped at the opportunity. So we booked our flight, set up our itninerary. Over the past few months, those of us on the trip and some of our colleagues at home have been meeting and discussing different medical issues and conditions we will encounter to prepare for the trip. About six weeks ago, I med with KBA in the travel clinic and got my hepatitis A shot, my oral typhoid vaccine and my malaria prophylaxis, mefloquine (of which a side effect can be psychosis, not that you'll be able to tell the difference). In the past few weeks, I've been stocking up for the trip- I've got my 98% DEET insect repellant (my skin may fry with the 98% but at least I won't get Chikungunya fever), replaced my lost iPod, read up on my Indian history and culture. And in the few days before the flight I was just enjoying some things at home, I may not have at India like Chai tea (totally kidding, I heard you trip over two chai stands everywhere you go here) and steak (since half the population views the cow as sacred I figure I can go without for 3 weeks).
We'll be sure to keep you posted on the journey as we encounter the interesting medical conditions we encounter, the culture and cuisine of Hyderabad (looking forward to the local specialty Hyderabadi biryani), and whoever comes down with the Mughal curse (my proposed Indian name for Montezuma's revenge, cast your guess for the first afflicted traveler).
Well, its breakfast time and I want to read something nerdy like an article on arthopod-borne infections, so I'll bid adieu for now. I'd like to thank the Invanz drug rep for the excellent pen I used to jot down my blog entry since I wrote this on a pad of paper at 30,000 feet.

1 comment:

canadian's mom said...

Hi!
I'm so sorry I missed your call but glad you all got to India safely. I'm enjoying the blog--will be right along with you all the way.
Be safe, have fun, stay healthy--all of you.
Love,
The Canadian's mom