13 August 2007

T-3 Days

First blog for me and, I think, first blog for all of us on the team. In 3 days we head to Hyderabad, India, for what will hopefully be an enlightening medical and cultural experience. The team this time consists of one med student, four internal medicine residents (four Americans and one "Canadian"), and one vaguely nervous ID attending.

I had my daily (q 4h is more like it) moment of panic when Sujan called and said he had not received any info on his e-ticket since May. Obviously, I said to myself, I had messed up the batch ticket process and 1) Sujan would be doing a consult month/plotting my destruction and 2) we would be living in the slums of Hyderabad, Shantaram-style, after Sujan's family denies us entry into their apartment. Turns out that he has a reservation after all. So he will be heading for Amsterdam for his "sightseeing" and will join us on the flight from Schiphol to Begumpet. Dodged that bullet.

The plan as it stands now is Week 1 at the Sivananda Rehabilitation Home, Week 2 on the medical wards at Osmania General Hospital, and Week 3 at the rural medical facilities of Mediciti. With some lectures at NIMS every week on a variety of ID topics. And much fun for all. Questions in my mind at this point: Will it be educational? Will we all stay healthy? Will I be the only one blogging?

Finally, this may mark the first time in my 8-10 trips to India that I take malaria prophylaxis. Heck, if Bindu is taking it, it must be important.

7 comments:

BaldWonder said...

Namaste. I am extremely jealous that you guys are going on this trip without me. Therefore you must blog incessantly so I may live vicariously through you. It's good to see that DD3 has taken my advice and is traveling as a "Canadian." My other piece of advice: buy lots of Odomos as soon as you get off the plane. Hope you guys have a great time. I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Aadia Rana said...

Ahhhhhh! You can't leave yet! I still have to call and wish you good luck, dont loose anyone, etc etc. You're taking malaria prophylaxis??? Wuss.

Unknown said...

Hope you all have a great time in India, and take care of the Canadian. And post pics along the way. Good luck and have a safe trip!

Unknown said...

Waitaminute. This sounds like there are actually other people on this trip. When this Yadavalli guy showed up in my office and claimed that there were a bunch of otherwise perfectly sane and smart people willing to travel halfway across the world UNDER HIS GUIDANCE, my reaction was "sure, Gopal... yawn..." And now it turns out it was true?! What's wrong with you people?! :-)

But fear not. Even if you are so obviously afflicted by an utter lack of common sense, I will log on regularly, if only to send some godd vibes your way and try to help keep you all safe despite the dangerously clueless leadership you have chosen...
Anyhow, Godspeed (Or Vishnuspeed, or Budhaspeed, or whatever speed you consider good). Work hard, party hard, and blog often!

Khiani said...

T-4 Hours...just put my clothes from washer to dryer, should be ready in 45 minutes, allow for some quick packing, dishes are in the dishwasher, still figuring out if Gopal's cab is going to come and pick me up in 2 hours (waiting for reply to text message i sent him) or whether I will need to wake Shariff up (he's nightfloat right now, so he's agreed to be back up option), Printed out copies of my Hep B talk to discuss on the journey over, Will take some playing cards and books to read for long journey over ... Very excited! This will be a great trip!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

For those Indian (baseball) fans who are busy in Hyderabad - don't dwell on the following or get distracted - it is just FYI, assuming you have no time .....

"Cleveland got a strong performance Friday night from Paul Byrd, who scattered eight hits and continually worked out of jams in a 2-1 victory over the Devil Rays that pushed the Indians ahead of Detroit by a half-game in the division."