18 August 2007

My two cents

Alright, so this is my first blog ever (like most of the group). So here we go.

Just a few initial thoughts: When we arrived at the Hyderabad airport, I was really excited. I was a little nervous about my role in the group. Kind of an outsider being a student and not knowing everyone as well. But also, since we were staying with my family, I feel like I am a pseudo-host. So my initial excitement also contained some anxiety about whether these other guys would have a good trip.

But by the time we finally arrived at the apartment, I felt extremely comfortable. My family help build this apartment building a couple of years ago, and I have stayed here multiple times. But this is the first time where it felt this close to a "home". I don't know exactly what that means, but it was a good feeling.

But then I woke up this morning and we started walking around the neighborhood. And I realized that I know very little to nothing about the community around me. And that is what makes this trip so interesting for me. Besides my family and their friends, I have rarely interacted with other people living in India.

The last thing I wanted to mention was the change from Amsterdam to Hyderabad. For the next two days we are free and have no agenda (much like my two days in Amsterdam). I wasn't a great "tourist" in Amsterdam, but I knew what to do because being a tourist is so easy and defined. Both Amsterdam and Hyderabad have museums and monuments and the like. But Hyderabad isn't a tourist driven place. It's a place where there are a large amount of people living typical Indian lives. I've thought for a while that if foreigners to the US wanted to see how most Americans live, they would go to Cleveland, or Charlotte or St Louis or Albuquerque - not NYC or LA. I see Hyderabad as that kind of city in India- and that's also kind of the reason why I am intrigued to learn more about it. That probably doesn't make sense, and/or you don't agree with it. But that's just a thought.

2 comments:

topseed said...

If you want to know Hyderabad a little better, I recommend a bus tour that picks up passengers at Yatri Nivas in Secunderabad in the early morning. It's a day-long tour that includes some of the city's most awesome historical sights, such as, Qutub Shahi tombs, Golconda Fort and Salarjang museum. All this while meandering through the streets of old Hyderabad. Pretty cool!

Unknown said...

Hey Sujan!! i know this is the India Blog but details from amsterdam (if they can be disclosed) would be cool also! with Dr Y's permission of course